Easy homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup recipe. Ditch the can and try this alternative to any casserole dish.
If you’re anything like me, your diet has changed as we’ve gotten older. Things we use to buy out of convince we now question what the heck is in them? If I can’t say an ingredient does it really belong in my food?
Hhmm, probably not.
But you’re busy! and want a fast meal. At least you’re throwing it together yourself, right?
Plus… you can’t make condensed cream of mushroom soup. That comes in a can and sounds complicated and time consuming.
SAVE FOR LATER!
Well thank goodness its not!
My husbands favorite comfort food is Tater Tot Casserole. However, it went out of rotation when I stopped cooking meat. It was tragic for him but being the supportive guy he is, he politely ate whatever I put in front of him. Awww… right?
One year later and instead of ditching everything, we buy organic when we can and I’ve taken on the task of learning to make things from scratch.
Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup recipe
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
Over medium high heat melt butter in a skillet and chop your mushrooms.
Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté until tender.
Season with salt and pepper
Add flour and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Add your broth and milk, whisk until smooth. Add the garlic and onion powder and continue to stir.
Your condensed soup will begin to thicken. Bring the heat down to low and stir occasionally.
Remove from heat and let cool.
It really is that easy and is a delicious addition to any casserole or recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup.
This recipe makes the equivalent to about one and a half cans of what you can pick up on the store shelves.
Be sure to try it with our favorite Tater Tot Casserole recipe!
Condensed cream of mushroom recipe
- 1 TBSP Butter
- 6 Baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Broth
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- Salt taste. (I start with 1/4 salt and add a tad more.)
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- Over medium high heat melt butter in a skillet and finely chop your mushrooms. Add mushrooms to skillet and saute until tender. Season with salt and pepper
- Add flour and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add your broth and milk, whisk until smooth.
- Add the garlic and onion powder and continue to stir.
- You're condensed soup will begin to thicken. Bring the heat down to low and stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool.